Going to New Schools

After working at the same schools for 4 years, I am moving to two new schools starting 1st of April 2010. They are Nishi Elementary and Suka Elementary. Yesterday was the last time I went to Kita Elementary and tomorrow will be my last time at Hoshimiya Elementary. Many sweet, sad memories come to my mind. I saw my classroom for the last time yesterday and looked at the arrangements I made for 4 years; the wall decorations, pictures, 4 seasons decorations, properties, games I made; the chairs, the CDs, the cabinet, drawers, racks, boxes, wool threads, lights, windows. Yesterday, I had a second farewell from teachers. I received a bouquet of flowers and a red furoshiki (Japanese fabric handkerchief, red is my favourite color; medatsune!). They are beautiful. I still have them and put them on the desk in my living room.

The first one was last week on Tuesday, 16th of March. It was a surprise for me. When I arrived at the school, the principal, Kurimoto kouchou sensei asked me to go to the gym quickly because the students were waiting and having the farewell ceremony for me. Students held the arches of paper flowers over my head to welcome me. Then, I sit on a chair on the stage. After a word from the principal and Arai Taiko sensei, two students came to the stage and gave me a bouquet of flowers and a photo album. They asked me to speak a word. I said that there were so many sweet and sad memories, however, I enjoyed myself working there. I also thanked all the teachers who had helped me a lot during 4 years teaching at Kita Elementary. When I was watching the students rehearsing for the graduation ceremony each year, I always think what they will be in 10 years time, or 20 years time. I hope they will realize their dreams because I will always support them and wish them all the best for their future. After the speech, the students sang sayonara song. It was a touching moment that I may forget all the pranks and naugtiness of those kids. Then, the principal ushered me to leave the gym. Again some kids made arches of flowers for me to pass their lines. Thank for for their appreciation of my work. Look at the white roses which have purplish color. When they are cold, they are purple, but when I blow my hot breath to them, they change into blue. Kasuga sensei bought them at a special florist, he told me. Beautiful flower arrangements with yellow orchids and yellow daisies, pink carnations and some others that I do not know their names.

Yesterday, we said farewell to each other, the students and the teachers. Quite hard. However, they need a new teacher and I need a new environment. New schools with new environment, new students, new colleagues, new parents, new parking lot, new customs, new assistants, new desks, new lockers, new classrooms, new schedules, new toilets, new playing grounds, new gyms, new faces, etc. Exciting. Nishi elementary is the biggest school in Gyoda in terms of the number of students it has. I need more strength and energy to be able to teach long hours and going to and fro from the English room on the 3rd floor to the teacher's room on the 1st floor. In the morning I am going to Hoshimiya to have a closing ceremony, before they go for a short break for spring vacation. Then, we'll start again in April 8th. In the evening, I am having a farewell party with Kita elementary teachers. (to be continued....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokyo Love Story Lyrics

A short trip to Gifu

Travel Report of Kanazawa, Fukui and Shiga Prefectures