Excerpt from 中高生の基礎英語 NHK Gogaku

I was tutoring a student for his two-month programs. I suggested he should listen to English everyday. One of the ways was listening to NHK Gogaku in the morning from 6:15 to 7. This is an excerpt from NHK Gogaku English, Broadcast from Aug.30th to Sept.10th 2021. There were 4 speakers, Momose Miho sensei, Amanda, Vinay, and Suzuki Fuku. Hopefully, this could help anyone who learns English.

Topic 11: Is there something new you want to try?

September is a month when teachers and students feel fresh.

April feels fresh and new, but after a long summer vacation, we feel excited to be back at school. We start school in the US in September.

I’d like to try Yoga. I hear it’s good for your health.

I want my body to move more easily.

Do you want to start something new?

I want to try many things.

What for example?

I want to try drawing a picture

You want to try learning a new musical instrument

This week dialogue.

Robert and Diane are international students in Japan.

It’s the start of the new semester. Listen carefully to what they are saying.

R: It’s the start of the new semester. Is there something new you want to try?

D: Actually, I want to try playing the drums. It may be a bit challenging, but I think it could be fun

R: The drums? No kidding

D: I like listening to drums and songs. They can be really powerful and strong. And I think that drumming is good for you. I read, it reduces stress and burns calories.

R: That sounds cool.

D: What about you, Robert? What would you like to try?

R: I really like football.

D: You mean American football? Or soccer?

D: I mean soccer. I would like to try teaching it. I could do it as a volunteer at an elementary school.

D: A teacher? That’s great.

R: Actually, I want to try teaching it. I have always been interested in teaching.

And you know, I’m crazy about soccer. So, it’s the perfect combination.

------

Robert and Diane would like to try something new.

Vinay, Is there something new you want to try?

I want to see Machu Pichu. I’ve never seen it. But I really want to someday

Machu Pichu is also something old.

Tell me about something new to you.

I started playing the guitar.

Try doing. I want to try playing the drums.

But it was too difficult. I could not do it.

Look at this video. I tried doing the moonwalk. What do you think?

I tried playing the shakuhachi. But it was difficult. I could not get a sound.

Fuku you can play the shakuhachi. Can you teach me sometime?

We all try doing something new. That’s great.

No kidding.

I saw a UFO last night. No kidding. Yeah, it was crazy.

Be crazy about something (really like)

I’m crazy about soccer. I’m crazy about baseball. You’re really into baseball.

Boost your communication skills. Saying yes in a positive way.

A: I’m moving next week. Can you help me move my sofa? It’s a little bit heavy. V: Sure.

A: And my bookshelf?

V: Of course.

A: Thanks, you’re a big help.

Anytime. Absolutely. No problem.

Sure. Of course. Great.

I want to be able to dance like you. Can you teach me? Sure.

Today’s take away phrase

I have always been interested in teaching

B: Amanda you’re a musician, right.

A: Yeah.

V: When did you start making music?

A: Probably when I tried the piano, when I was about 4.

V: About 4, wow! So, you have always been interested in music. You have been interested in it for a long time.

A: That’s right. I sure have then.

------

A: Vinay, have you always been interested in comedy?

V: Yes, I have. I have loved comedy since I was in elementary school.

A: oh, that’s a long time.

B: Yeah. I have always been interested in it.

----

What have you always been interested in? I have always been interested in ...

 -----

Fuku: I think my life is challenging, but very fun.

Amanda, is there something new you want to try?

I’d like to learn French. I have friends who speak French, and it would be fun to talk to them. I have always been interested in languages. When I studied French a little in Junior High, I liked it. But it was only a two-week course, so I’d like to study more. Since I am good at copying sounds, I enjoyed trying to speak different languages. Also, finding out the meaning of words is fascinating.  

Is there something new you want to try?

Yeah, I want to try sky diving. It may be scary, but sometimes I’d like to try things that are scary to me. I tried bungee jumping once. And that was really fun. Jumping out of an airplane must be super exciting. And the view from so high up would be amazing. I just hope I would actually be brave enough to jump.

-----

One on one training with Momose Sensei.

Fuku, is there something new you want to try?

I want try doing action scenes in TV shows and movies.

It may be challenging but I think I could be fun.

I have always been interested in action scenes.

I’ve tried action scenes before, but I want to try doing harder action scenes.

Do you think it’s easy? It may be challenging but I think it could be fun.

What kind of action scenes would you like to try?

Fire action or battle action.

When you are able to do such hard action scenes, what would you like to do with those skills? Yes, I would like to perform in movies and TV shows.

I’d like to be an actor who can do action scenes in the future.

Fuku, you could make your sentences almost by yourself without my support.

------

Let’s chat

V: Amanda, is there something new you want to try?

A: Well, many things. Yes. I’d like to try speaking French. I like the sound of it and some of the expressions are similar in English so it’s interesting. I think it would be fun to learn French.

F: That’s good.

V: yeah, sounds really cool. Actually I speak some French, so if you learn it, we can practice together.

A: oh, sounds great. Fuku, is there something new you want to try?

F: I want to try doing action scenes in TV shows and movies.

A, V: Oh, wow! O.K.

F: It may be challenging, but I think it could be fun. I have always been interested in action scenes. I’ve tried action scenes before, but I want to try doing harder action scenes.

A: What kind of action have you tried before? Did you use weapons or…?

F: I tried short battle scenes.

V: oh, fight scenes.

A: you tried short fight scenes.

F: yes, short fighting scenes and jump

A: jumping

F: jumping and sword fighting scenes.

V: Oh, you’ve got a sword fighting scenes.

F: yes, I’d like to be an actor who can do action scenes in the future.

V: Great, sounds really fun. Fuku, you said you wanted to try doing harder action scenes.

F: Yes.

V: For example, what kind of hard action scenes do you want to try?

F: very cool fighting scenes

A: Fighting scenes that look really cool

F: A long time action.

V: A long fight scenes. Like Kungfu fighting

F: aaa

A: Hand to hand combat so no weapons.

F: yes

A: Or Fist fighting

F: Yes, but I want to try sword action and gun action.

V: You want to try everything.

A: That sounds exciting

V: I want to see your action movies.

F: thank you.

A: Good luck.

F: Vinay, is there something new you want to try?

V: Yeah, I want to try sky diving. It might be scary, but sometimes it’s fun to do scary things. I tried bungee jumping and that was really fun. So, sky diving must be super exciting.

F: I want to try sky diving, too.

V: okay

A: me, too. Why not? Okay Fuku, great, so you told us what you want to try. Great job.

V: that was really wonderful job.

F: thank you.

-----

What do you think is challenging but fun?

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokyo Love Story Lyrics

A short trip to Gifu

True Love by Fujii Fumiya