Lunch with Elementary School Students

Everyday I have lunch with students in different classes from 1st grade to 6th grade. The schools assign me to sit in the classroom and have lunch with students. Many things happened. About a month ago, I had lunch with 2nd grade students (2-2) Kita Elementary, I sat with a group of students, there was a boy who was talkative and open. We talked about many things, food we liked, disliked, about our family, parents, siblings, etc. That boy always answered my questions, although I meant them for other students who were sitting in the group. Then out of the blue I asked him, how many TVs he had in his house. He said he had 3. Another boy said 5, but 2 were broken. A girl said 2, one in the first floor and another one in the 2nd floor. I asked where they put those TVs. The boy said there was one in his living room, one in the 2nd floor and another one in the toilet. A girl asked why. I also asked why. He said his father liked baseball so much so eventhough he was in the toilet, he could still watch the game. We all laughed. The homeroom teacher and other students were looking at us when we laughed out loud.

Another experience, two weeks ago when I had lunch with 2nd grade Hoshimiya Elementary. There were only 12 students, so the HRT had the students set a round table sitting arrangement. When we were eating, Misa, a girl whose brother, Takumi, in the 6th grade, told me that he liked a boy in the class. She did not hesitate to tell me and point to the boy, Hiroki, a quiet thin boy. There were two Hiroki in the class, the one is thin and quiet and the other one was healthy plump and active. Then, the girl next to Misa, Saki chan, also told me that she also liked two boys in the classroom, she pointed to Ryusei dan Kaito whose brother was in the 6th grade. I appreciated their boldness. The boys, Ryusei and Kaito, were not shy nor did they feel awkward about it. Ryusei is a handsome boy and I know he will be a heart-breaker. He loves pretty girls and he knows how to capture their attention. He knows how to get my attention. He knows how to be sweet in front of me. I asked Misa what kind of guy she liked. She said she liked a boy who was handsome, kind and rich. Then I asked the same question to Saki, basically she said the same things. Then I asked whether she liked someone who was clever and smart. The answer was quite surprising for me. She replied that it did not matter whether the guy was smart or not. "Atama yokunakutemo ii!" I laughed loudly. The HRT only smiled. She is a kind of person who never shows her true feelings and never be expressive. Saki also said that she did not want to go to college nor university. She said that she was not clever nor smart. Saki wants to be an Idol. She said that an idol did not need a "good head". Still young but she had determined her life and judged that she did not want to have tertiary education. The HRT confirmed that and added that the parents supported her and did not encourage her to have higher education. In my country, we all want to have higher education instead of our poverty, however, here in this wealthy country, a kid does not want to go to school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokyo Love Story Lyrics

A short trip to Gifu

Travel Report of Kanazawa, Fukui and Shiga Prefectures